SEOUL/SAN FRANCISCO -- Executives at Hyundai Motor Group are divided over a potential tie-up with Apple, with some raising concerns about becoming a contract manufacturer for the U.S. tech giant, dimming the outlook for a deal.
Hyundai said earlier this month it was in preliminary talks with Apple but gave no details. Local media said the companies were discussing an electric car and battery tie-up.
Hyundai and Apple both declined to comment for this story.
Apple has never acknowledged talks with the automaker about building vehicles, and it was unclear whether any such talks are still active. The iPhone maker typically insists on strict secrecy from its potential partners and suppliers about future plans or unreleased products.
In an earnings call on Tuesday in which it reported its best quarterly profit in over three years, Hyundai did not give any updates on talks with Apple or indicate whether they remain active.
"We are agonizing over…